I always feel like eating a nutritious breakfast sets me down the right road for making smart food choices throughout the day. We have a few staples that we rely on (steel cut oats, granola and plain yogurt with fruit, avocado toast), but sometimes we need to indulge a bit AND stay pretty healthy. For me, that’s this porridge. It was one of my favorite recipes I made from last year’s Bon Appetit Food Lover’s Challenge. And even though it’s a bit time consuming, you can cook a big pot of rice ahead of time and use it for all sorts of yummy things throughout the week.
Like brown rice, black rice is chock full of bran which is present in the outer husk (that part is removed during milling to make white rice). Black rice has a leg up on brown rice because the bran contains anthocyanins which are responsible for the deep purple and red pigments. Anthocyanins have been linked to a decreased risk of heart disease and cancer, improvements in memory, and other health benefits.
Throw in some almond milk, shredded unsweetened coconut and a bit of maple syrup and you have yourself a pretty amazing breakfast. If you’re interested in making your own almond milk (which is super easy), check out this fun video.
BLACK RICE PORRIDGE
from Bon Appetit.com
- 1 cup of cooked black rice
- 1.5 cups unsweetened almond milk
- 2 tsp maple syrup
- 2 tbsp unsweetened shredded coconut (plus more for garnish)
- Cook the black rice according to the package. We do two cups of water for one cup of rice. Cook it in advance for quicker preparation in the morning.
- Add cooked rice and almond milk to a medium pot.
- Bring to a boil and then reduce to a simmer, uncovered, until the mixture thickens up, about 15 minutes.
- Stir in syrup and coconut and cook another minute.
- I like to top mine with a little extra coconut and banana. Enjoy!
Doesn’t that look delicious? I’ve already gone out and picked up some black rice of my own to try this just as soon as I get home. Want to see more great recipes from Jess? Check out these three great recipes on One Simple Thing
Latest posts by Jessica Sliman (see all)
- Healthy Breakfast: Black Rice Porridge - January 20, 2014
- Mini Resolutions: Small Steps Towards A Better Year - January 13, 2014