He Calls Me Mommy by Holly Homer

I’ve got a special treat for you today, the 20 Must Follow Moms you’ve seen and loved on Pinterest are making their way around the blogosphere.

Visiting us is Holly Homer, of  June Cleaver Nirvana. You may know her as the Quirky Momma doing things bigger and better in Texas on She is Dallas, but there is oh so much more to this mentor / friend of mine!

For starters, she is a devoted mom,  an expert at all things blogging and social media, a shrewd business woman, and a late night talk show host! Well, maybe not TOO late night, but check her out on G+ to see what all the commotion is about.

Today she’s taking a break from all those responsibilities (seriously, I don’t know how she does it all) to share this sweet moment of motherhood with us. She must have known what a sucker I am for stories like this.

Thank you Holly!

He Calls Me Mommy

When my youngest {of three boys} was 4, he complained that I didn’t always answer him when he called for me.

It isn’t that I intentionally tuned him out, but looking back I admit to occasionally avoiding yet another question, request or debate.  I was busy.  I wasn’t paying attention.  My thoughts were elsewhere.

Until this day…

We were sitting quietly together and Rhett looked and me and said, Mommy, did you hear what word I said?

I hadn’t heard what he said, but had seen him mouth a word in a whisper.  I replied that he had said MOMMY.

Mommy, how did you know?

I just know.

No, HOW did you know?

I just know.

He thought for a minute and tried again.  His little lips only moved a tiny bit, and just a breath of sound escaped him.

Mommy, what did I say THAT time?

Mommy.

MOMMY, HOW DID YOU KNOW?

I just knew.

But I said it so quietly you couldn’t hear it.

I just knew.

He sat back with a puzzled expression on his face and with determination he decided he would try it one more time.  This time his lips didn’t move at all and he was completely silent.  The only clue that I had that he had “said” another word was his heading nodding up then down for emphasis.

Mommy, what did I say then?

Mommy.

He looked at me stunned.  He believed I had just read his mind.

Mommy, how do you do that?

I laughed and said, You start ALL your sentences with the word MOMMY so it was a lucky guess.

He starts all his sentences with mommy.

I hadn’t realized that until I said it.  I hear the word mommy come out of his mouth more often than anything else.

Rhett (of course) disagreed,  Mommy, I DO NOT!

See you just did!

Mommy, I don’t do…

You did it again!

Mommmmm…..

Yep!  Again!

By this time we were laughing so hard that he couldn’t even form the beginnings of an “M”.  He recovered a bit and tried to speak,  Mommy, I ….and then started uncontrollably giggling over the truth.

He starts all his sentences with mommy.

I can’t even put into words what that revelation does to my heart.

He starts all his sentences with mommy.

Now, hop on over to Zina’s blog to read my story on Let’s Lasso the Moon and don’t forget to follow the 20 Moms on Pinterest if you haven’t already.

Comments

Thanks so much for sharing my story today. It is one that I think I needed to hear yesterday! Why is it so easy to tune out the sweet voices of our children?

Can’t wait to see what you are up to at Zina’s place.

You can call me guilty Holly, in fact reading your post inspired mine. It won’t be live for a bit but you made me realize something big when it comes to my own sweet set of voices.

What a beautiful story Holly! It wasn’t too long ago that I was holding a stack of paper. Art created by my Little M (6). It’s hard to know what to do with ALL that paper and I sighed with frustration until I looked closer. On every. single. piece of art is the word Mom. Someday I will be hoping for beautiful pieces of art from her heart and it will be this time that I makes my heart patter. This time when she thinks of me every time she creates.

Oh Jillian, you just brought tears to my eyes. I’ve been in that situation before, and now that you put in this context … it’s going to be a lot harder for me to toss those little pieces of art now :)

There will come a time for every parent when ‘mommy’ or ‘daddy’ becomes ‘mom’ or ‘dad.’ It’s still endearing, but when it becomes the norm, when the ‘mommy’ or ‘daddy’ makes a reappearance, it’s like catching-a-foul-ball-at-a-baseball-game-good.

HH, you’re quite the storyteller … always a good read!

Awww, he starts all his sentences with mommy!! I was laughing, ‘awwing’ & even tearing up a little at this adorable story! Thank you for taking the time to share such a precious moment between you two. :)

5. Zina says

Loved the story Holly and Jill… I need to take note of that in our art too. This is all going to fly by so quickly. I am thankful to have women like you two writing to remind me to slow down, soak it in, enjoy it.

lovely! especially today, when my 3 year won’t stop talking and asking questions. it’s make me a little crazy, but it’s true, her whole world starts with mommy! thank you.

7. Athena Barnim says

This is saved to my “favourites” to read over and over again whenever I need it. So…maybe every day! I can’t believe I needed to read online what has been right in front of me in my own house. He starts every sentence with Mommy. He really does. My heart melts every time I think or say those words.

That brought a tear to my eye. What a beautiful and poignant story. Thank you for telling – it’s a much needed reminder to cherish every moment with my boy :-)

Wow.. what a moving story. I can relate to it completely as my 2 and half years old is always looking for her Mommy and I love every minute of it.

We can all use a lesson on empathy every now and then. I thought about looking Aaron up on Facebook to possibly apologize for not asking him if he wanted to be the Mommy, instead of the Daddy. I don’t remember his last name. Maybe it’s for the best. But, Aaron, if you are reading this, I’m sorry. I never thought to ask if you wanted to be the Mommy.

Yesterday, while I was at work, my sister stole my iPad
    and tested to see if it can survive a 40 foot drop, just so
    she can be a youtube sensation. My apple ipad is now broken and she has 83 views.

I know this is completely off topic but I had to share it with someone!