Add meat and cheese, some tortilla strips would be great too! End up with this, a super simple weeknight meal your whole family will love.
Really, all three of my kids gobbled this up. My 6 year old had three bowls full of this salad. I’d love to tell you he was a salad nut (he does “like” salad), but the real secret was in the spicy ranch, so so good.
May I present you with your new go to weeknight salad:
Southwestern Chopped Salad
Here’s what you’ll need:
- finely chopped lettuce
- finely chopped cabbage
- shredded carrots
- diced cucumber
- cherry tomatoes
- black olives
- steamed corn
- pepper jack cheese
- grilled chicken (diced or sliced)
- Avacado (diced – optional)
- Hidden Valley Spicy Ranch (optional – but so good)
This couldn’t be more simple. Grill the chicken however you like, or cook it up quickly on the stove using some EVO and salt & pepper. Dice all ingredients, taking the time to finely dice the lettuce and cabbage. Layer them in a large bowl, sprinkle with cheese (as heavy handed as you need to be) then place cooked chicken on top to serve.
In a pinch or on busy weeknights, use store bought rotisserie or grilled & ready chicken. You can even find southwestern chopped salad kits with lettuce & cabbage pre-chopped, ready to go.
and as long as you’ve whipped up this tasty salad with time to spare, why not make this evening extra special with a 2 minute, 3-ingredient sangria.
3 Ingredient Sangria
- Red Table Wine (I used First Timer Red)
- Orange Passion Mango World Market Italian Soda
- Bag of Mixed Frozen Fruit (mine had strawberries, mango & peaches)
- Have a simple sangria ready to go in 2 minutes flat. Pour in red wine, then follow with Italian Soda; the ratio is 1:1. Open your bag of frozen fruit and pour in as much as you want. The fruit will not only chill the sangria, but as it melts the flavors will even enhance it.
If you’re like me and you’re not the biggest fan of mushy fruit, then you may want to sip this sangria with a straw. While sure I’d prefer fresh fruit in my sangria, this is a super simple alternative you can whip up just about any time. Perfect for when unexpected company drops by.
Kids can have their own sparkling punch, just pour in some Italian soda and a few frozen strawberries and/or peaches to jazz it up a bit.
The result is a low fuss, no stress dinner that feels a bit more like a vacation than a chore.
These recipes were developed as part of a social shopper marketing insight campaign with Pollinate Media Group™, but all ideas and opinions are my own.
Latest posts by Stacy (see all)
- Have you hugged a teacher today? - May 15, 2015
- 10 Ways to Help Your Family Fight Allergy Symptoms - May 8, 2015
- Last Minute Handmade Mother’s Day Gifts - May 7, 2015