Part 2

continued from part 1 ….

I didn’t get to where I was going right away. There were many twists and turns, and ups and downs, and winding roads along the way. The darkness that hung over those years clouds my memory, and keeps me from painting a clear, chronological picture for you here.

trolley

<fast forward>

I would be nine years old before I finally found a place, I could call home.

I arrived in the middle of the night, I recall because the drive was long. Far further from the city than I had ever travelled before. We had to keep stopping so I could be sick. Nine years old and unable to keep down food of any kind.

I can remember almost everything from that day forward. There was a large dog. The first of his size I had ever seen. In the beginning I was petrified, but it did not take long for either of us to warm up to one another. There were horses too, and more land than I could see with my own two eyes. We had a tiny 1960′s, single-wide trailer and all the roads glowed white at night and made fantastic sand castles during the day.

There was the issue of school, and of me eating food. My new guardian insisted I do both right away.

School came easiest, I mean I had been to one before. Liked it even. But I would need to start a new one. Again. There had been several schools already to come and go.

The food part, came a bit harder, but he quickly figured out a way to solve that. A hamburger and french fry a day seem to fix the problem and the more I ate and the healthier I got, there was a promise of my very own bicycle!

I don’t think there are words to express the gravity of what this bike would mean to me. I had never owned anything like this before. My prized possession up till this point had been a tiny, posable Care Bear figurine my mother had brought with her to visit me in foster care once upon a time.

Nothing was going to keep me from having my own bike. I worked hard at school, and even harder at eating. Hardee’s and I became best buds! Can you spell q-u-a-r-t-e-r pounder with cheese, please? When the first semester of school ended, I had done so well with both tasks … I was given not one bike, but two!

One purple. One orange.

I think it took me longer to learn how to ride those two bikes … then it did to pack on some pounds or get moved to the advanced classes in school. In my defense, learning to ride a low to the ground bike looks much easier to me than those tall towering, metal contraptions I kept tumbling off of!

And just so you know, I rode both of those bikes in to the ground till the day I left.

These were happy times. Happy times indeed. I had a large place to roam and “cousins” to call family, and a guardian who looked after and cared for me. Not to mention, two bikes and a dog!

“Momma once told me, you’re already home where you feel loved.”
~ The Head and the Heart

For a very, very long time, these were the best days of my life. I remember every single one of them, or at least it feels as if I do.

Every single one of those days in that almost, perfect five years …

<Interlude>

………………………………….

Latest posts by Stacy (see all)

Comments

Thank you so much for opening up your soul and sharing these bittersweet memories with us Stacy. You’re doing a very important thing here – telling your story and the stories of masses of people who are unable to tell their own… I nearly cried when I read you got not one bike but two… You are a very special lady and a wonderfully talented writer.

Big ((hugs)) to you, friend. I’m an adoptive mom, and the thought of being a foster parent has always been in the back of my mind. I’m glad that those almost 5 years trigger happy memories for you.

Your message is so beautifully written and powerfully felt. I love that you got two bikes, and I love that you are sharing this journey with us. You are amazing.

Stacy, your writing is beautiful and thank you for sharing your story. I know it’s not easy to share this and I just want you to know that it is a gift to the world. To share your story and the offer to use your history to help others is simply amazing.

YOU are amazing.

Sending love to you, friend.

Love, Caroline

Stacy, you are incredibly courageous to share your story. I’ve known you for a while now (both online and off) and I had no idea you dealt with all of this growing up. But what I do know is that you are an amazing, inspiring woman who makes me want to be a better mother, blogger, friend. And I knew all of that about you before I ever read these posts. You have so many people who love and admire you. We’re here, cheering you on and lending an ear if you ever need or want to talk.

Sending tearful hugs to you as I read every word of your heartfelt writing. Thank you so much for sharing your story and giving a voice to so many others. I imagine you are the voice of too many of the children I’ve taught over the years. Ones that I would buy snacks for my whole class just for them because I knew there was none at home or ones that I would make sure were in the lunchroom each morning to have breakfast and lunch with us. No child should ever be hungry ever. Thank you for being such a strong voice in this Moms Fighting Hunger Campaign.

It is amazing how having children of our own brings us face-to-face with our own childhood – for better or for worse. Your path has clearly been challenging, I’m glad you are able to hold tight to those good days and grow from those bad days. Sometimes good people do make bad choices, but the ways in which those choices effect others isn’t fair – wasn’t fair to you. I don’t feel I’m putting any of my thoughts into coherent sentences, so I’ll say this: thank you. Thank you for sharing. Thank you for making different choices for your own little ones. Thank you for bringing the fight against hunger to many (probably more than you even know). I am honored to have connected with you. Thank you.

You are incredible. I can’t imagine how difficult it was to pour these words out of your soul for us to read. Your bravery is inspiring.

xo

Thank you for sharing this part of your life. I have a little tear in my eye. I am so glad to hear of your happy childhood memories and just imagine your excitement at getting 2 bikes.

10. dianemurray2003 says

Stacy, I also moved around a lot as a child from a broken home. My situation was somewhat abusive, however-I felt especially close to Jesus at that time and remember feeling his presence a lot. Also, even though I felt like a work horse a lot of times-I know how to cook and clean and care for little ones. So good came from bad and WHAT DOESN’T KILL US MAKES US STRONGER! lol You sound like a very strong soul. God bless you.

Woah the following blog page will be great i adore studying you. Be inside the very good work! You already know, many people are seeking all around for this details, you’ll be able to help them to enormously.