Every Child a Superhero

This post was written in honor of National Superhero Day (April 28th) and my friends in Pittsburgh lining up to take a stand against child abuse and trying to break a World Record for the most superheroes in one place at one time, here’s to being SUPER! The cape pictured in our photo is from Power Capes. Quick shout out to them as well for sponsoring the Super Hero Run today, we love our cape, mask and wristlets and that they offer them at great discount regularly on Zulily too!

I’ve given parenting a lot of thought these last 6 years, intentional thought, on how I wanted to raise my children and the type of grown up I want them to become. Having a child is such a monumental event in and of itself, but the responsibility to raise good stewards, kind citizens and contributors of society weighs heavy on me at night. I have a set of basic core values I instill in my children whenever possible, but as I got to thinking this week in the days leading up to National Super Hero Day … I realized really what I am trying to create in my children is the underlying desire to do and be good — a sort of everyday hero, if you will. Then I realized I’m probably not the only one, I mean don’t we all want the same for our children?

So, I came up with 20 ways you can help you child unleash their inner superhero. Simple ways you can instill kindness, inherent good and thoughtfulness and those qualities we look for in a stand up superhero. You might be surprised to find that those qualities we admire most about these fictional characters are so much of what we are looking for in ourselves. These qualities really aren’t that spectacular or superhuman at all, in fact, I’d argue to say we are all capable of living our lives this way!

20 ways to raise a superhero

20 Ways to unleash your child’s inner superhero

- Teach them to have Integrity, do the right thing even when no one is watching

- Give it all you’ve got, no matter what you’re doing give it 110%

- Try to see the good in people, even when it may be hard to find

- Whenever possible, lend a hand. Helping others is fruitful & rewarding

- You can do anything if you try, try, try. Believe in yourself

- In every situation, be the good guy. Trust your instincts and do what feels right

- Be strong in mind — keep a clear head, stay focused, be present and in the moment

- & body — eat to nourish your body, stay active and challenge it constantly with new activities

- Take the initiative- when something needs doing, get up & get started

- Be Resourceful. A little bit of creativity and ingenuity goes a long way

- Solve Problems – saving the day is all about solving problems. Brainstorm possible solutions, talk with others and keep an open mind

- Make a Difference – the smallest of gestures can make a huge difference in someone’s day. Seek out those opportunities and embrace them

- Overcome Great Odds – somethings are difficult, but chances are you will get through them. In tough times, endure and lean on family. In the shadow of insurmountable tasks, break them into bite size pieces and get started achieving your goals.

- Do something BIG – dream big and find a way to bring your dreams to life

- Take Chances – the only way to know if something will work, is to try. Don’t be afraid to fail. Take risks and take them often.

- Take a Stand – there will always be someone or something out there that needs a voice. Speak up.

- Change the World – the tallest mountains are made from the smallest grains of sand, chasms and canyons were carved in to the earth by tiny drops of rain and so can your efforts imprint themselves on the world. No effort is too small or done in vain. Do every deed with great purpose.

- Rock your look , we are all individuals — be your own person. Own who you are.

- Know your talents & USE THEM!

- Be AWESOME.

Note: As with all life lessons, the best way to teach is to lead by example

Got any lessons to add to this list? I’d love to hear them

Special thanks to these Super Mamas for helping me brainstorm this list: Crystal of Growing a Jeweled Rose, Maria of Mama Mia’s Heart 2 Heart, Cathy of NurtureStore, Bernadette of Mom to 2 Posh Little Divas, Laura of Play Dr Mom, and Kristina of Toddler Approved. Looking forward to featuring more great ideas from this post.

Comments

Oh Maria, thank you! Each time I publish a post like this I take a deep breath and wait to see how it will be received, I’m so glad you found it useful. You just made my day

1. Sheri O. says

What a wonderful post! It’s so awesome to see other people teaching their kids these qualities. I’m trying to raise my 2 kids the same way, so it’s great to see someone write these down. I can use a reminder sometimes when the kids are driving me crazy or I’ve had a tough day. I’m coming back to this post for su

Sheri O.

What a great list!! As the mom to three super hero enthusiasts I totally appreciate this but most of all the underlying values, modeling making changes, trying over and over again, ingenuity,kindness and generosity and everything else. Sharing this on our Facebook page!

I flipped through the channels yesterday and noticed they were having a Super-Hero Sunday Movie Marathon. How “fantastic” would it be if we took your list and encouraged all kids to be the Super-Hero?! Thoughtful and Inpirational Post!

This was a beautiful post, Stacy. I shared it on Pinterest and Twitter. A powerful image and message. These are “superhero” traits I would like to instill in our children as well. Beautifully written.

5. Carla says

I love this list! My son is currently obsessed with super heros and real life firefighter heros. We talk a lot about how heros act (for example: if you hit you lose the honor of wearing your fire hat). I love the idea of modeling hero behavior for your children, great list!

6. KM says

What an awesome list!!!! So beautiful. So inspiring. Can you imagine what our world would look like if we all taught these principles to our kids!? When I was in grad school our professor encouraged us to make a family mission statement. To me THIS list embodies my mission. Thank you!

7. MiaB says

This is SUPER awesome!!! Will be sharing this with my readers later on today when I actually get on an actual computer instead of an iPad :)

Stacy this is so wonderful! I want to print it out and put it on my wall to read it every morning. I love it. I just pinned it to my “Inspirational Parenting Posts” board. I know I will want to read this again and again.

What a great mom you are to intentionally parent your child to be not only a productive member of society, but also one who cares about others too. I think you are teaching them to be a superhero by being a superhero yourself.

I just love this list! As simple as the list is, being all of these things is no easy feat. I too hope to instill every singe one of these values/traits into my children. First, I must practice each one diligently myself x

Stacy, thanks for this, this is really a beautiful and good post. This post could help lots of parents in raising their child. In everything that they do, there must be something that they should learn, even if they were just playing.

This is great. They’re only little once. I love watching my 3 year old zoom around the house in his Superman shirt with the attached cape. :)

13. Robin says

Great list! My step kids are older, but I’m getting my first lessons in parenting none the less. I would add, Be joyful! Have fun! to the list. These are all pretty big expectations for kids, and sometimes they just want to know its ok to have fun, be kids, and not to feel the pressures of society that we adults are so aware of.