This post was written in honor of National Superhero Day (April 28th) and my friends in Pittsburgh lining up to take a stand against child abuse and trying to break a World Record for the most superheroes in one place at one time, here’s to being SUPER! The cape pictured in our photo is from Power Capes. Quick shout out to them as well for sponsoring the Super Hero Run today, we love our cape, mask and wristlets and that they offer them at great discount regularly on Zulily too!
I’ve given parenting a lot of thought these last 6 years, intentional thought, on how I wanted to raise my children and the type of grown up I want them to become. Having a child is such a monumental event in and of itself, but the responsibility to raise good stewards, kind citizens and contributors of society weighs heavy on me at night. I have a set of basic core values I instill in my children whenever possible, but as I got to thinking this week in the days leading up to National Super Hero Day … I realized really what I am trying to create in my children is the underlying desire to do and be good — a sort of everyday hero, if you will. Then I realized I’m probably not the only one, I mean don’t we all want the same for our children?
So, I came up with 20 ways you can help you child unleash their inner superhero. Simple ways you can instill kindness, inherent good and thoughtfulness and those qualities we look for in a stand up superhero. You might be surprised to find that those qualities we admire most about these fictional characters are so much of what we are looking for in ourselves. These qualities really aren’t that spectacular or superhuman at all, in fact, I’d argue to say we are all capable of living our lives this way!
20 Ways to unleash your child’s inner superhero
– Teach them to have Integrity, do the right thing even when no one is watching
– Give it all you’ve got, no matter what you’re doing give it 110%
– Try to see the good in people, even when it may be hard to find
– Whenever possible, lend a hand. Helping others is fruitful & rewarding
– You can do anything if you try, try, try. Believe in yourself
– In every situation, be the good guy. Trust your instincts and do what feels right
– Be strong in mind — keep a clear head, stay focused, be present and in the moment
– & body — eat to nourish your body, stay active and challenge it constantly with new activities
– Take the initiative– when something needs doing, get up & get started
– Be Resourceful. A little bit of creativity and ingenuity goes a long way
– Solve Problems – saving the day is all about solving problems. Brainstorm possible solutions, talk with others and keep an open mind
– Make a Difference – the smallest of gestures can make a huge difference in someone’s day. Seek out those opportunities and embrace them
– Overcome Great Odds – somethings are difficult, but chances are you will get through them. In tough times, endure and lean on family. In the shadow of insurmountable tasks, break them into bite size pieces and get started achieving your goals.
– Do something BIG – dream big and find a way to bring your dreams to life
– Take Chances – the only way to know if something will work, is to try. Don’t be afraid to fail. Take risks and take them often.
– Take a Stand – there will always be someone or something out there that needs a voice. Speak up.
– Change the World – the tallest mountains are made from the smallest grains of sand, chasms and canyons were carved in to the earth by tiny drops of rain and so can your efforts imprint themselves on the world. No effort is too small or done in vain. Do every deed with great purpose.
– Rock your look , we are all individuals — be your own person. Own who you are.
– Know your talents & USE THEM!
– Be AWESOME.
Note: As with all life lessons, the best way to teach is to lead by example
Got any lessons to add to this list? I’d love to hear them
Special thanks to these Super Mamas for helping me brainstorm this list: Crystal of Growing a Jeweled Rose, Maria of Mama Mia’s Heart 2 Heart, Cathy of NurtureStore, Bernadette of Mom to 2 Posh Little Divas, Laura of Play Dr Mom, and Kristina of Toddler Approved. Looking forward to featuring more great ideas from this post.
Latest posts by Stacy (see all)
- 10 Things You Need To Know Before Indoor Skydiving - July 2, 2017
- A Family Guide to the San Antonio Missions - July 18, 2016
- Save your sanity with a magical blanket fort kit - May 27, 2016