Are using Pinterest to it’s full potential?

I’ve seen an awful lot of people bashing Pinterest lately, my least favorite is the quote that says something like … Pinterest is a place for things you can never afford, never obtain, never make or never be clever or creative enough to do on your own.

Could we get any more pessimistic than that? nope, don’t think so. Besides, these people are missing the whole point!

Pinterest is the place where you can catalog your dreams, plan for your future and develop your own personal style. Seriously, in the year I have been pinning I have learned more about the “real me” than I ever knew before. When the real me starts to feel cloudy, all I have to do is check out my boards and there I am all laid out in full color details.

Besides that, Pinterest does just the opposite of that silly quote. It gives me the opportunity to get as close to my dreams as I CAN afford,  instructions on how to MAKE just about anything, and use the inspiration I find here to be CREATIVE in my own ways.

I keep a board called, For the Home, where I chronicle things I want to do in my home or things that would be awesome in anyone’s home. Thanks to this board, my home has really begun to transform in to something I am proud of. Here are a few pins I’m using as inspiration this month.

Baskets as cookbook storage - A Bowl Full of Lemons

I had 3 of these country living wire baskets, I got for $3 on sale and had no idea what I was going to do with them. Thanks to this pin, one now houses coloring books, homeschool papers and magazines on our dining table so they’re never too far from reach and another in the living room holds library books and read along books we’re working on with the kids. Cute and functional, love it!

Next up, is this droolworthy storage piece featured on Norway’s Bolig Pluss.
Stunning, right?

It just so happens I have two very similar dressers in my dining room almost the exact same color (a little distressing should do the trick) and I have been wanting to add pulls just like these for ages, but have been too scared to invest in that many pulls without knowing how it would look.

Score, it looks better than I could have ever imagined! Can’t wait to knock this project out. (Thank you Lisa!) Oh yeah, I even have the vintage suitcases and an old rickety wooden crate, meant to be I guess.
photo wall display
And my personal favorite, the family photo wall.

We had the MOST gorgeous family photos taken in May (promise to show them to you soon) and I have been scratching my head trying to figure out how to feature them in my home. This look is perfect for us, we even have the ledge already, I can’t wait to see it all come together like this.

All I need now is 32 drawer pulls, some sandpaper and a Kohl’s coupon so I can order a few more frames! I’ll post pictures as I finish each project.

I say it all the time, but Thank You Pinterest, for helping me visualize and put my ideas to action. So what do you think, are you using Pinterest to it’s full potential? Tell me how it’s improved your life and leave a link to your pins, I’d love to see what you’re doing over there.

Latest posts by Stacy (see all)

Comments

I, too, have seen these comments, and I’ve wondered about them. I think people can be negative about anything, and conversely, people can make use of anything. I know I have made and done several things I’ve seen on Pinterest. I already saved loads and loads of links, and starred loads of posts in my google reader, long before there was Pinterest. I’m very visually-oriented and found the lists of links and starred posts to be unorganized and annoying. So I’m essentially doing what I already did in a much more aesthetically pleasing and useful way.

I also just started a “people who inspire me” board which, with a quick glance, well…inspires me. I think we’ve only scratched the surface of what can be done with this kind of tool.

And for those who are interested :)–my boards:

I follow you on Pinterest and love your pins and love Pinterest for that matter. I agree with what you said and think it is a great way to catalogue everything you love and find online and want to be able to track down again. Plus I love having a visual reminder of things that make me happy or inspire me.

3. km says

I adore pinterest… just ADORE IT! As an organziational freak, it helps me visually bookmark my inspirations and to-dos in an easy to find order. I THINK IT IS FANTASTIC!!!! I try to only follow the boards that inspire and delight me… then I don’t get overwhelmed with all the stuff that is “out of reach.” I can see if a person followed and explored EVERYTHING how they might feel overwhelmed… but as a personal tool to organazie it is THE BEST!!!!!!!!!!! You are the pinterest queen! :):)

I find that Pinterest motivates me to get even more creative and to try new things! It has linked me to wonderful people, full of bright ideas. It is truly inspirational! And links people with a common thread, to share with each other, to pay it forward in a way. I have found it extremely positive and ignore the negativity!

5. Chris Yazzie says

I’m thrilled to have found Pinterest. Some years ago I started a journal of things that I loved. In a drawing notepad I glued pictures from magazines, color swatches, quotes, etc., anything that caused me to pause for a minute and smile.

Now, I’ve begun a collection on Pinterest. And my collection of “happy thoughts” has grown exponentially. Not only that, but I’ve been inspired to provide a better home environment for my family as I’ve come across recipes, organization tips, and memory-making ideas that me, the noncrafty person, can actually do.

Pinterest . . . thank you for opening up my world.

Pinterest is absolutely fabulous! Its been such a wonderful tool to bring back my creative side that I was missing so much! I am fairly new, maybe 2 months into pinning, and there are so many diy pins that I can’t wait to try! My first diy pin that I tried was one that uses old picture frames and tiny little hooks to hand jewelry on. What a cute idea!!! http://pinterest.com/pin/135057937/

7. Sinde says

LOVE Pinterest so much. It has brought back my Organization-ness & my crafty side. Right now I am making several of the Halloween wreaths (tulle strips tied onto an embroidery hoop) as gifts. They are adorable.
    Pinterest is SO inspiring… I am addicted.

It all depends on how you look at life. You can choose to focus on the good or dwell upon the bad. I make a conscious choice to look towards the positives, and pinterest helps me sort through my dreams, spark my creativity, and and quite often puts a smile on my face… how can that be bad?

9. Raechel says

I have over 700 pins on my pinterest (http://pinterest.com/mariediocre/) but out of those 700 I’ve used a bunch for inspiration for my photography, including a wedding I photographed September 17th, I’ve used the picture arrangement suggestions I’ve found for two places in my home, I’ve made/used three of the prints for some cheap decorating, my fiance and I have tried more than a few of the recipes in my food stuff board (and some admittedly failed, lol) I’ve done two of the craft projects (http://pinterest.com/pin/239956825/ and http://pinterest.com/pin/121857972/) and have the materials for at least another half-dozen projects I found on pinterest. It isn’t a place for things to do RIGHT NOW but rather a great website to categorize the things I would like to do someday if the opportunity ever presented itself. I even have a board listed as “if I could sew.”

You make a great point about pinterest helping you discover who you are and what you like. Pinterest is like going window shopping with your closest friends without wasting the gas. But instead of the “if only” game, you instead get to say “maybe someday.” As soon as we buy our own house you’d better believe there will be a lot of little pinterest tweaks added such as the paper towel holder in the space where the faux sink drawer sits, or the laundry room decor for single socks, or the fire pit, and so on and so forth ;D