And it’s all OK.

I just had to tell you, this was the best week I have had in a really long time.

Not because anything fabulous happened this week. In fact, in reflection it was an all around gloomy sort of week. Double ear infections, nightmares, children to afraid of the dark to stay in their own beds, a husband who’s gone, unplanned expenses maxing out my credit card, a body that wasn’t willing to work out at the potential I would like it to.

But somewhere in the midst of all that. I began to notice a change.

Somewhere inside of me. That instead of wallowing in all of the sad & bad, had decided instead to relish the good.

I marveled at how capable of a mother I really am.

Staying up all night for 3 nights in a row, taking 3 kids to the pediatrician.
Managing to fit in a full week of homeschool lessons. Making home cooked meals every night. Baking cookies with the kids and planting special herbs we’ll use to make ice cream this summer (cinnamon basil & spearmint).

Disciplining without being mean.

Having an indoor camp out.
The list goes on and on …

I also gave myself permission to do something I don’t normally do.
I put my wants first and stopped listening to my “outside self” when I felt overwhelmed.

Definition: Outside Self- You know, the “you”, you share with the world versus the real you on the inside.

Outside self: “It’s late, let’s just get take out.”
Inside self: “Um, Noooo. Will takeout help you lose those 30 pounds you’re so hung up on? You don’t even like the taste of those new fries in canola oil.”
“I thought you liked making healthy meals for your family?”

Outside Self: “Hey wait, I do like creating things in the kitchen!”

Things like:

Blueberry Coconut Whole Grain Muffins
Chocolate Chip Pecan Cookies
Cherry Vanilla Smoothies

(recipes coming soon to a blog near you)

ahh, listening to that inside voice is so much more wonderful than my outside self.

And while I won’t pretend to be cured completely, hey I’m sure I will occasionally fall back in to my old habits. I’m confident I can find a way to make my outside self and my inside self coexist peacefully. Maybe even share the same wants, needs and values?

Alright, now it’s your turn. Tell me the truth, when is the last time you took a peek at the you on the inside? How much different is the “outside you” from the “inside you”? I’ll share my differences in an upcoming post and I’d like to challenge you to do the same.

Latest posts by Stacy (see all)

Comments

Those kinds of weeks are so essential to make up for all the other ones where we endlessly doubt ourselves.

Thanks for linking up to Fridays Unfolded….I hope you’ll be back next week too!

Hi Stacy!!! I am so glad that you stopped by my little blog, it is so nice to meet you!!!! Your blog is awesome & I can’t wait to read more!
    I am loving the SR workshop & am planning on taking the next one in June! let me know if you sign up, I think that you would love it!
    XoXXo
    amy

It’s been awhile since I’ve been able to tip the scales in favor of positive thinking. I am trying, though. I’m so glad you had a great week! Now…have another. :)

You’re such a wonderful person, it’s hard to believe that you would ever feel this way. You are so nice and good to everyone that you meet, I often thought that I would like to be like you. I’m glad you stopped being so hard on yourself.

What happens when the inside and oustside self decide to come together and decide that they both want nachos for breakfast? I’m having that problem right now.

Hope you smile today Stacy.

Jun, you have always been such a refreshing ray of sunshine! Honored to have you brightening my day again. AND, giving me new ideas for cooking! Not kidding when I say I have had asian tuna 5 times since your post. :) Nachos for breakfast sounds like a win win to me. Just so you know, you made me smile today! Love you

5. km says

What a beautiful reflection. JUSt the title sums life up so perfectly—- IT IS OKAY!
    Here is mine:
    Outside Self: It’s okay to skip your workout. Look how snowy it is outside! Just take the day off.
    Inside Self: You made a promise to work out five days a week and you can do it. You feel less stress when you exercise and you know how GREAT it is for your health.
    :):) got to the gym! :)