6 Ways To Help Endangered Species

Today is Endangered Species Day.

A day that I would like each of you to take a moment of your time and think on things that are happening in not just the world around us, but right in our own backyards.

1,324The # of species listed as endangered in the United States alone! [750 plants, 574 animals]
Source: (www.nwf.org/esday)

Did you know all species of sea turtles are either endangered or threatened? Yeah, me neither
Source: (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sea_turtle)

How about this scary tidbit of information: Within the next 30 years, almost 1/4 of the World’s Mammals will be at risk for extinction … Wow! That’s something I just can’t stand for.

I don’t even want to think about the chance that my grandchildren or great grandchildren might never have the opportunity to see a panda, tiger, dolphin or whale. I just won’t do it.

Luckily, since the Endangered Species Act was passed in 1973, there have been hundreds of success stories.

• Bald Eagle – Recovered and delisted
  • Peregrine Falcon – Recovered and Delisted
  • Grizzly Bear – Proposed for delisting.
  • Gray Wolf – Populations are rebounding under ESA protections

And even more species are recovering as we speak. Whew, at least that’s good news.

OK, now that I have scared us all into action, let’s talk about some of the things we can do to make a difference.

1. Raise Awareness – Spread the word in your communities about local threatened species. Educate your children about endangered species, children are the future and well, sadly, EXTINCT is forever.

Tell everyone you know, Farmers can get tax deductions for endangered species on their property.
Source: (

2. Clean up a Wildlife Refuge – Volunteer your time to help clean debris and weeds from a nearby designated wildlife habitat.

3. Support Zoos, Aquariums & even Sea World – I know there are a lot of folks out there who don’t agree with zoos or animals being kept in captivity for the enjoyment of humans. I urge you to reconsider your view point in these circumstances. It is because of zoos, aquariums and even places like Sea World that we have been able to learn about many species, boost populations and physically connect children (and adults too) to all types of wildlife that would have otherwise been impossible. (Ignorance is bliss but knowledge is power and seeing is believing – folks are more likely to get involved when they’ve experienced something firsthand) Without these places, many of the accomplishments we have made would not have been possible. Your contributions and patronage to these locations helps ensure future endeavors and possibilities for generations to come.

4. Take a stroll through a Garden – You might not think of plants when you think of endangered species but plants are declining at a rate as rapidly as animals without as many advocates coming to their defense. Your nearest Botanical Garden is a treasure trove of information and a huge player in keeping endangered plants on the map.

5. Be Respectful to Mother Earth – Pesticides, landfills, off shore drilling. These are all reasons species are becoming endangered to begin with. Find alternative methods, reduce your carbon footprint and recycle as much of your waste as possible. By doing your part, you are lightening a heavy load our nation is resting on the shoulders of our great planet.

6. Spread the Word – Click on over to the Conservation Action Network and speak out for wildlife everywhere.

Thank you for your time.

Comments

1. katherinemarie says

THANK you for this post!!! I really appreciate your NUMBER THREE… as a child I felt guilty enjoying zoos… thanks for pointing out the GOOD they do!

Great post! This is such distressing information, yet you’ve provided some good tips that can help make things better. I totally agree about the zoos and parks. They need our support! :)

Hi Sarah,
      So glad you took a minute from Wandering Off (horrible play on words there) to visit with me. It means a lot to me that you like the post, I need to stop by and see what you guys have been up to lately. I need some ideas to keep us busy this summer. Still waiting to get the kids to the story time at the Pearl Brewery, I didn’t even know they had one until you posted about it :)

Stacy – Great post; scary…but well researched, for sure. Thanks for all the information.

I don’t mind proper zoos. The anminals in these situations are usually treated very well. Places like Sea World though…hmmm…I can’t do. I know everybody has their own opinions. :) Have you seen The Cove? Check it out. It’s not about sea aquariums…but does shed some light on the damage they can do. (Captive anminals are never a good choice.)

And…I would LOVE to talk to you about unschooling…if you are interested. It’s been an amazing choice for us (even though Isaac is still not qutie school age {will be 4 in July}) Email me if you are intersted.

Happy Sunday to you!
    Debbie
    .-= Debbie´s last blog ..Happy Saturday =-.

4. mackenzie says

Hey. I love your post but sea world? I’ve seen many documenteries about animals in sea world. They always say the animals are depressed and sometimes commit suiside (take the actor of the dolphin flipper for instance.) Don’t get me wrong protecting animals by bringing them to captivity is great… But in my opinion to risk the animals feelings just to boost the population is kinda wrong. And it’s kind of like fake helping animals, let me explain to me sea world is using the animals “saying” they are protecting them… But does teaching the animals tricks really do anything? NO! Its just for human satisfaction and it gains them money, not to mention makes the animals depressed and stressed. This causes all sorts of problems like the animals turning on their trainers then the animals get punished! Alot of the workers in sea world really do want to help them I know but they just have to show it… email me I’d like to hear your opinion. :-)

Helo i am 14 and i am from Tunbrisge wells Grammer School for boys in Kent, England. I am doing an ICT project at school and i was wondering if i could use the photo of”help Us endangered animals” on your website. Thank you

tash e mesuva pak anglishten .animals are in dangered so we have to do something to help
      our world……………………………………………………….”””””””””””””””””””””?????????????????????????
      ??????????????????????????ààààààààààààààààà@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@ thanky vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvveeeeeeeeeeeeeerrrrrrrrryyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy mmmmmmmmmmmmmmuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuccccccccccccccccchhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Thank you for your article (and please excuse me, English is not my mother tongue), do you write a second part to cover the subject entirety? In all cases, it’s a topical issue that will have to be treated in this way more often. Regards, Roger .

More about that In a minute, listed here is the best 10 via Alexa;.
    Too much freedom is sometimes the cause of failure of some individuals, so it’s wise to stick to your planned schedule.

It is always very important to invest in your own company
    but this is especially true at the infancy stages.

hello there and thank you for your information – I’ve definitely picked up anything new from right here.
    I did however expertise several technical issues using this website,
    as I experienced to reload the website a lot of times previous to
    I could get it to load properly. I had been wondering
    if your web host is OK? Not that I am complaining, but slow loading instances times will often affect
    your placement in google and could damage your quality score
    if ads and marketing with Adwords. Anyway I’m adding this RSS to my email and
    can look out for much more of your respective
    exciting content. Make sure you update this again soon.

いたわ》りぬくのを、ばばは殆どよろこぶ様子もなく、「わしじゃない。わしはどうなと関《かま》わぬ。はよう、あの窟《いわあな》のうちにいる女子《おなご》を手当してたも。助けてたも。……もう気を失うてから、刻経《ときた》っている程に、早うせねば……早う薬な